Friday, December 16, 2011

"Tough love is the nice way to say it."

One of my first lessons in life was not a very happy one. That was the day I discovered, well, that I was adopted. It’s not a happy story to tell, either. It was a couple of years ago, day or two before my 11th birthday. I was riding home in the car with my mom. I stared out the window, watching condo after condo blur by as I thought about what I wanted for my Birthday. I don’t recall what started the conversation, but I remember how it ended. My mom suddenly spoke, and said, “I need to tell you something.” Now most kids know that either means something really bad or something really good. I immediately knew whatever she was about to say, it wasn’t going to be a happy thing. She then blurted out, “You’re adopted.” I grinned. My parents always tried to pull stupid jokes on me like that before. When I looked at her, I realized it wasn’t a joke. My grin died. Let’s just leave it as I had a very bad week after that. I spent a lot of time pondering why they even bothered to tell me. I guess I realized in the end that maybe there are some things that just need to be done, despite the repercussions. That’s something that needs to be done. That applies to a lot of things in life, and it’s kind of good thing they got it out of the way. I didn’t realize it at the time but it was a good thing, despite whatever unhappiness I may have felt.

11 comments:

  1. That is a lot to take in, especially at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's tough to hear. :/ They are good parents for telling you though. In the end it is probably a good thing and not a bad one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did the right thing by telling you. It would only get worse the longer they waited

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really sucks to hear, but cool story bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Corey; I think your parents told you because you deserved to know, but it's good that you've accepted the truth. I hope that when you grow up, you keep a strong bond with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its not fun for a person to hear that at any age, but i think they made a wise choice to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very sad, but very very uplifting. I bet it was hard to share. Good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry that you had to find out like that, but you're right: it's better that they told you then instead of waiting until later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's tough to hear, you did deserve to know the truth and I'm sure it was extremely hard to take in, but it was for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's definitely an intense moment, but you're right: it's better that you found out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good that you know that you are adopted instead of finding out later in the future.

    ReplyDelete