Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Flying high and hopefully not crashing."

That's what I thought was going to happen.
I once learned to take risks in life. I learned that through a risky fly by in an airplane. My grandparents own two airplanes, the Champ, and Cherokee-6.  The Champ is an old fashioned two-seater prop plane. The Champ is fun to ride in; it’s more like flying in a plane than it is in an airliner or the Cherokee. Now, while we were flying pretty high, we took a look around the town, and then decided to go for a fly-by of the farmland out of town. I do love flying, and I’ve always wanted to get my pilots license. Now, this time around the farms we went a little lower, and got even lower when we got to my grandfather’s farm. As we flew over, looking at the wheat, we weren’t paying a whole lot of attention to the power lines directly in front of the plane. We eventually both looked ahead and saw the immediate threat. An “OOOOOOOOOH!” escaped our throats as my grandfather narrowly avoided the power lines and pulled us up. What I took away from that was that you can’t always go through life without taking some serious risks. And I wouldn’t have missed a chance to fly with grandfather even if it didn’t involve a slightly higher chance at mortality. If I hadn't gone with him who knows when I'd get another chance to. Always jump at a chance to spend time with elders and family members.

2 comments:

  1. Very true. We never know when we might miss an amazing opportunity just because we didn't take a small risk. Great writing and lesson! (:

    ReplyDelete